- About Us
- Public Affairs
The Public Affairs Unit is responsible for implementing programs and strategies related to public relations and community relations. The mission is to help foster a stronger working relationship between the department and the community it serves, which is constantly evolving. The office is run by a public affairs specialist.
One of the primary goals of the police department and the community alike is crime prevention. Reducing crime and the impact it has on the people of our city is the ultimate goal of community oriented policing. The Public Affairs Unit provides these resources to help the community prevent crime:
- Neighborhood Watch: We will speak with community groups about creating and maintaining a Neighborhood Watch.
- Security Surveys: By appointment, the Public Affairs Specialist will conduct an on-site inspection of a residential or commercial property with the occupant or owner. Advice and recommendations to improve security and provide optimal protection for people and their property will be given.
- Safety and Security Talks: The Public Affairs Specialist will speak or arrange to have speakers at community meetings, businesses, and similar organizations on topics such as personal safety and burglary prevention.
- Citizens’ Police Academy: The Citizens’ Police Academy, a free 14-week course, is held to educate citizens on the basics of the law enforcement profession. Some of the topics include how investigations are completed, crime scene procedures, traffic stops and scenario based “Shoot, Don’t Shoot.” With the Training Unit’s assistance, students will be placed in the role of the police officer making a traffic stop, as well as responding to a domestic violence call.
- Crime Prevention Academy for Businesses: The Miramar Police Department developed an academy to help business owners/operators interested in learning more about protecting their businesses.
- Hispanic Outreach Law Enforcement Academy (H.O.L.A.): A free academy held entirely in Spanish is offered to Miramar residents who are interested in learning more about the Miramar Police Department and the field of law enforcement. Certified bi-lingual instructors provided residents with a better understanding of the day-to-day operations of the police department.
Other programs offered or supported by the Public Affairs Unit are:
- Operation Blue Squad: Thousands of toys are collected for “Operation Blue Squad.” These toys are generously donated by Sunbeam Properties through their annual toy drive, “Polar Express.” This partnership allows the Miramar Police Department to bring joy to more than 800 children throughout Miramar. Toys are delivered to Whispering Pines (a school for students with intellectual, behavioral or emotional disabilities), general areas in need such as Haven Lake Estates, and Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.
- Shop with a Cop: The Miramar Police Department pairs approximately 50 deserving elementary school-aged children with officers to shop at Walmart. The officers volunteer their time to bring holiday joy to children from families in need throughout Miramar.
- Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital: The Miramar Police Department looks forward to the annual Christmas Eve visit to Joe DiMaggio’s Children’s Hospital. Officers volunteer on Christmas Eve handing out toys to and visiting with children who are in the hospital.
- Police Athletic League’s Golf Tournament: The Miramar Police Department partners with the Miramar Police Athletic League (PAL) to raise funds for PAL’s programs. PAL provides year-round educational and athletic youth related activities to youth between the ages of three and 17 years old and their families.
- Kiwanis Club of Miramar Pembroke Pines: As a member of the Kiwanis Club of Miramar Pembroke Pines, we are proud to partner with an organization that donates several college scholarships to graduating high school seniors; donates Thanksgiving groceries to over 80 families in need; helps provide assistance to Miramar residents who are unable to take care of their home themselves; and helps several Miramar families during Christmas holiday.
- ‘Fishing for Futures’: In partnership with Fishing for Futures LLC, the Public Affairs Unit supports the program helping children learn new ways to spend their time positively, while teaching them respect for themselves, others and the outdoors. Fishing for Futures’ goal is to provide positive role models, and to create fun and positive memories with the children that participate.