News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/10/2016 3:12:46 PM to 7/30/2016 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Business Updates

Posted on: May 10, 2016

[ARCHIVED] City revises its adopted Fire-Rescue service fee, residents and business win!

The City of Miramar has long believed in taking care of its community. At the November 23 Commission meeting, the Board unanimously approved the revision of its current adopted Fire Rescue Fee Schedule supporting fire inspections. This revision has eliminated the Miramar Residents subsidy of these inspections. It will also right the fees assessed to the small business owner, providing for a reduction.

The City’s Fire Rescue Service fee ensures that its Fire-Rescue Department can perform inspections and issue permits as often as is necessary but no less than annually for every occupancy and business within its jurisdiction. This complies with the Florida Fire Prevention and Broward County Fire Life Safety codes.

“The City’s growth has compounded the fact that the current adopted Fire Service Fee Schedule has become obsolete. It has not been revised for several years. It only covers 75% of the cost to do the inspection; the remaining 25% is currently being subsidized by the taxpayer,” stated City of Miramar Fire Chief Tomey. This move is additionally necessary to correct references to outdated codes, the omission of several hazardous activities and occupancies; and balance the fee structure consistent with the recovery of costs formulation, Chief Tomey further intimated.

The accepted adjustment in fee schedule will begin on October 1, 2016, and on each October 1 thereafter, fees shall be adjusted to reflect the cost of doing business, measured by the fluctuation in the Consumer Price Index (“CPI”) so that the fees maintain their relevancy. Notwithstanding, a survey performed of various counties and municipalities in the South Florida region has shown that the City of Miramar has the lowest fee schedule for residents, small and big business alike.
Its Right Here in Miramar!©
For more information, please contact the Office of Marketing and Public Relations at (954) 602-3129.

Facebook Twitter Email